10.11.2011

Unfailing Father

I had another topic in mind for my next blog, but true to the way the Lord works in my life, He dropped a bombshell of emotions and burdens on my heart tonight. I was enjoying a lovely girl's night out with Lyns, Kia, Ileia, Heather and Blessing tonight. We grabbed dinner at PM and then walked over to Belmont's Curb Cafe to watch a friend and her boyfriend's show.

They were a few songs into the night and I was just enjoying the music. They're both amazing musicians: Christa Ciotti and Brian Yak - I recommend you check them out. Anyway, they get to a portion of the show where they both share their stories of growing up with a void left by their fathers - one left by choice while the other was taken at an early age to be with our Heavenly Father. Either way, they both had to deal with the void. After they shared their stories, they performed a song called 'Unfailing Father.' I was completely taken off guard when God told me to look around the table - I was surrounded by dear friends who share this particular burden - whether their fathers chose to leave or passed away. As I was looking around this table of girls I truly love, I was filled with so many emotions.

I'm so blessed in the fact that I grew up with an amazing, present earthly father. However, God chose tonight to use my gift of empathy to show me for a moment the heaviness that comes with not having that earthly form of a father.

I just want to encourage those out there who have had to deal with this void that there is hope. One of the lines in the song states, "Rest in the peace His love provides." You're not going to be able to fill this void with anything but our Heavenly Father's love - sex, drugs, alcohol, addiction, eating disorders won't do anything for you.

The song also says, "Search no farther than the unfailing Father." I totally understand it's not the easiest thing to do and I also understand that I cannot fully grasp the hurt you feel - the constant feeling of loss. What I can do is stand with you and intercede in prayer for healing because our God is healer - emotionally and physically.

The Bible has plenty to say about the fatherless:
"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows is God in his holy dwelling" - Psalm 68:5
"The Lord watches over the alien and sustains the fatherless and the widow" - Psalm 146:9
For time's sake I'm only putting a couple, but there are so many instances where He not only speaks of being a father to the fatherless but also challenging His people to step in here on Earth to help the fatherless.

I wish I could have taken a video of the song so I had something to post for you all, but I didn't think of it. However, this is a video of her performing another song. I wish the quality was better, but you at least get the fact that the girl can SANG IT!

UPDATE: This is a video Lyns took with her phone tonight of them performing another song. They pretty much killed it...in a good way.


3 comments:

  1. Jessica......this is an incredible post! You are an amazing woman.......and have an incredible gift of emphathy and the knowledge to know how to help!

    ReplyDelete