10.19.2011

Awkward Moments: Part 1

There really is no getting around the fact that my life is simply a series of awkward moments.


I have found that sharing awkward stories is typically a crowd pleaser/makes me feel a little bit better to not keep these moments to myself, so I've decided that every now and then I'm going to do an Awkward Moments blog. Honestly, I could have an entire blog devoted solely to my awkward moments, but I'll refrain.

Anyway, these entries will be pretty similar to an old post, Ode to Klutziness. That one has a couple gems as well, so feel free to check out that post if you weren't friends with me when I was blogging a year ago.

My friends may be a little nervous to hear that I'm also going to be telling stories of some awkward moments that I've merely been a witness to. However, this first one is my own.

So, it went down like this: 

It was fall break of my sophomore year of college and my friend Whitney invited some of us to spend the week at her family farm. The majority of the trip was Whitney, me and like 5 guys. Things were going great! All the guys were so helpful and doing pretty much all the work and we were all just having a grand time.

Whitney's farm is on a lot of land so they own some 4 wheelers. There weren't enough for everyone so we doubled up for the most part. I figured it was for the best given my track record, so I was totally content riding along with one of the guys. We split up at one point and I was with Whitney when she got the call that one of the other 4 wheelers was ready to be picked up, so we drove over together on her 4 wheeler and the plan was for me to drive the other one back.

I somehow, by the grace of God, made it back safely (sadly my hat did not) from the part of the drive that was on real roads to the guys. I really thought someone was going to take it from me after that - but no. Everyone started to head out - and fast. I was too afraid to go fast since I don't trust myself but also didn't really know how to get back to the cabin because I never paid attention since I wasn't driving. They managed to get pretty far ahead in a span of a minute so I decided to cut through the field to catch up. Bad idea. Turns out there was a ditch there. I forgot to mention it had been raining on and off all day so everything was muddy and the rain was kind of obstructing my vision (at least I like to blame it on that). So my 4 wheeler runs into the ditch and I go flying over the front of it - I'm talking flipping in the air - and land on my back.

I try to get the 4 wheeler out of the ditch, but it's just not happening. Let's also not forget that I don't really know exactly where I am so I wasn't sure if I should start walking back or not. I decided against it and figured they would come for me eventually.

I'm just chillin' by the ditch when in the distance I see a row of 4 wheelers coming my direction. Let's also not forget that I'm on a trip with almost all boys and I tend to have the 'I can do anything' attitude and don't really like to be proven wrong in that area. They all pull up to see me covered in mud (did I mention that I essentially fell into a pit of mud?) in front of a 4 wheeler stuck in a ditch. Naturally, everyone got a pretty good laugh out of it.

We ended up having a mud fight after the accident.
I really wasn't too embarrassed because when you do things like this on a regular basis, you pretty much have to learn to let things go and laugh at yourself or you really won't be able to show your face in public ever again. As soon as you get over one awkward moment, another happens.

I think my awkward moments are some of my favorite moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment