1.31.2013

My Yoke is Easy and My Burden is Light

This stage of life comes with the most weight I've ever experienced. I think Justin felt it way before me - there have been times when he's talked about loving the extra weight and it giving him energy and motivation to do what needs to be done.

To be clear - I'm in no way the person who thinks my life and marriage will be perfect and being in love with always be easy and come naturally. I know that love is not always a feeling, it's a choice. And on July 14, 2012, when I said 'yes,' I committed to making that choice.


That being said, I'm obviously at the stage where love comes easily. Sacrificing doesn't seem like a burden because the feeling of love flows so freely and so passionately that it's a joy to do things for him. Therefore, some might say I've been in pre-wedding bliss.

However, recent conversations have brought me back down to earth a bit. I think I've spent so much time preparing for what happens after the wedding between the two of us - how to handle disagreement, how to keep love alive, etc - that I didn't think about the world around us and our responsibility to be informed, to fight for what we believe in, to raise children that will be positive assets to society and to help those around us.

We have to make informed decisions that will not only impact us, but our future children. I've definitely gotten the kick in the butt I needed, but there's a balance. As I was sitting, my mind spinning with all the weight and responsibility, I was reminded of this scripture:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11: 28-30

In a world that is changing so much and often making choices that I don't agree with and will complicate life, I'm allowed to rest in the fact that The Lord is sovereign. I know Justin and I will be informed and make decisions that go with our convictions and I will trust that The Lord will bless that and be on our side. We'll do our part and he'll do his part. The responsibility is very real and very important, but the burden doesn't have to be so heavy. 

Side note: all the beautiful engagement photos I've posted were shot by Q Avenue Photo. They're talented and great to work with.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, Jessica......this writing is so profound! It
    has been our prayer for you and will continue to be. God is good...and he holds the future in His hands. We are so happy you will have a husband like Justin who believes and will continue to be "on top of" keeping informed.
    I know you both will be great warriors for God!
    Love you both....G & G

    ReplyDelete